Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Daily Wants: Dominoes, Kalamazoo Book Arts

The Illustrated Accordion Book Show
Kalamazoo Book Arts Center May 6th to May 27th 2011



This is my favorite book ! It includes a brief description of the history of dominoes as described in the Dictionary of Daily Wants 1858. I had a lot of fun making this. I collaged photographs of the dominoes in my collections and colored prismacolor pencils were used for illustrations. The small pop outs of dominoes add a unique dimension. I am very pleased with the inside front cover - this lion is my favorite domino....well one of them anyway.

I also made rubber stamps....cutting pink erasers... of dominoes falling.

The paper used was given to me by my dear friends, artist Pat Sahertian and her husband artist Jake Sahertian on their return from Paris where they purchased this paper for me to make something beautiful. I think I did.

The cover is a colored reproduction of an Asian patterned cloth - the domino is made of leather with white leather "pip" (dots) inserts (cut from old white leather gloves).

Some unusual designs on wooden dominoes. I rubbed gold over them to highlight the images.

The beginning... planning stage.

See all books entered into the 2011 Kalamazoo show here.

1 comment:

  1. mary, i love this book, it is absolutely one of my favorites. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete